Local Law 77 (LL77) of NYC requires registration, inspection, cleaning, disinfection, and testing of all New York City cooling towers. Local Law 77 also requires that building owners annually certify that they are in compliance with the law. This law applies to buildings in the entire state of New York, including New York City.
It’s important to stay compliant to avoid fines, but also to prevent disease. Legionella pneumophila is a specialized type of pneumonia that causes high fever, chills, aches, coughing, and other symptoms. HVAC systems have long been identified as major culprits in the spread of Legionella pneumophila. One of the most common places to find the Legionella bacteria is in cooling towers, as it thrives in stagnant warm water. The bacteria causes disease when people inhale contaminated mist or vapor. This is another reason why water tower maintenance is so important.
To stay compliant, avoid fines, and keep the occupants of your building healthy, here is a guide for how to remain compliant with Local Law 77 of 2015.
Summary of What is Required
- Register your existing cooling towers, evaporation condensers, and fluid coolers with the New York State by September 16, 2016, and with the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) by September 17, 2015.
- Register new cooling towers, evaporation condensers, and fluid coolers before use.
- Hire a Certified Water Technologist Experienced with the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE Standard 188P) and CTI Guidelines WTB-148.
- Develop and follow a maintenance program and plan (MPP) in line with ASHRAE Standard.
- Inspection—a qualified professional must inspect your tower every 90 days as long as it’s in use.
- Testing—each cooling tower must be tested every 90 days by a qualified professional as long as it’s in use.
- Cleaning—a cleaning must be performed at least two times per year by a qualified professional.
- Disinfection—New York City and State both require that any use of biocides (i.e., disinfection chemicals) be done by a commercial pesticide applicator, a pesticide technician certified in accordance with the requirements of New York State’s Pesticides Regulations (pesticide application must have Category 7G certification issued by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation).
- Annual Certification
For more detailed information regarding the requirements and regulations surrounding Local Law 77, you can click here.
Stay Compliant, Avoid Fines
To stay compliant with Local Law 77, cooling towers shouldn’t be something you have to stress about; you have a business to run. React Industries can help you stay compliant and decrease the likelihood of your occupants becoming ill. Our team of professionals is very familiar with NYC Local Law 77, and we can work with you to develop a maintenance plan so that you don’t have to worry. To learn more about our cooling tower inspections and maintenance solutions, contact React!